FYI: huge performance degradation caused by assertions

FYI: huge performance degradation caused by assertions

Holger
Hey guys,

I just stumbled across a huge performance problem:

I just switched from Glazed Lists 1.6 to the latest build and noticed
a huge performance degradation instantiating a SortedList with 20000 elements.
Duration increased from 540ms to 70sec!!

It took me some time to track it down:
the assertions of ca.odell.glazedlists.impl.adt.barcode2.SimpleTree

Disabling them was the solution.

I'm not sure if you were aware of this; anyway now you know.

Jesse, I think you owe me something now ;-)

Bug 354 is a real show stopper for us. Do you have some time to
have a look at it ?

Re: FYI: huge performance degradation caused by assertions

Jesse Wilson
Hey Holger ---

I apologize about killing your performance with asserts.
I like having them but o is there a nice way to disable asserts
by default for a package?

I'll see what I can do to prevent the asserts from causing
you and everyone else pain!

> Bug 354 is a real show stopper for us. Do you have some time to
> have a look at it ?

I'm severely busy, but for you I'll look at it this week.

Cheers,
Jesse

Re: FYI: huge performance degradation caused by assertions

Jesse,

> Hey Holger ---
>
> I apologize about killing your performance with asserts.

No problem. I just didn't expect the degradation there, so I
was searching in the wrong direction at first.

> I like having them but o is there a nice way to disable asserts
> by default for a package?

Yes it's possible, you can control assertions even on a class level:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/lang/assert.html#enable-disable

I did for example:

-ea -da:ca.odell.glazedlists.impl.adt.barcode2.SimpleTree

to disable assertions for SimpleTree.

> > Bug 354 is a real show stopper for us. Do you have some time to
> > have a look at it ?
>
> I'm severely busy, but for you I'll look at it this week.

Thanks. I really appreciate it.