GL Release

12

GL Release

Rob Eden
Hey guys -

What would you think of a new GL release? 1.8 has been around since 2009 and it's missing a decent amount of stuff that's in the snapshot builds (AdvancedTableModel, for example).

I propose we take the latest snapshot and slap it out as 1.9. Opinions?

Re: GL Release

James Lemieux
I defer to Holger. He probably has a better idea of what he wants in 1.9. Holger?

On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 8:26 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey guys -

What would you think of a new GL release? 1.8 has been around since 2009 and it's missing a decent amount of stuff that's in the snapshot builds (AdvancedTableModel, for example).

I propose we take the latest snapshot and slap it out as 1.9. Opinions?

Re: GL Release

Hey guys,

my original plan for 1.9 is reflected in the JIRA roadmap here:
http://java.net/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+GLAZEDLISTS+AND+fixVersion+%3D+%221.9.0%22+AND+status+%3D+Open+ORDER+BY+priority+DESC&mode=hide

There are still two open issues with regard to the grouping functionality.
I wasn't able to fix them yet, but if we manage to fix them, then all known bugs in this area would be solved.

Maybe you have an idea how to fix these open issues?

Also, not all fixes have been published yet, e.g. I will publish a new snapshot soon.

Please let me know what you think of it...

2012/12/4 James Lemieux <[hidden email]>
I defer to Holger. He probably has a better idea of what he wants in 1.9. Holger?

On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 8:26 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey guys -

What would you think of a new GL release? 1.8 has been around since 2009 and it's missing a decent amount of stuff that's in the snapshot builds (AdvancedTableModel, for example).

I propose we take the latest snapshot and slap it out as 1.9. Opinions?

Re: GL Release

Endre Stølsvik-8
May I suggest to add some introspection-possibilities? It is some years since I worked on this, but I have ended up changing some classes, and adding some others, to enable better introspection. The main use is for debugging.

Also, I would suggest to remove some of the assertions that are present in the code in the tight loops (I don't remember where, but I'll find it if interest). Since they apparently haven't caught much, they are currently just in the way for enabling assertions in your project: You always have to specifically exclude GL-code, or else it takes literally forever to do anything when using moderately sized to huge lists.

I would be happy to try to distill something more concrete out if there is interest in reviewing and adding some (IMHO needed) features.

Kind regards,
Endre.

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 11:33 AM, Holger Brands <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I would not release as 1.8.1 because there have been some incompatible changes:
http://www.glazedlists.com/documentation/upgrade-from-18-to-19

Do you have a particular need to make the release now?
If yes, we could defer the two issues to 1.10 and release 1.9 soon.
But at least, GLAZEDLISTS-499 seems to bother some users...

Holger

2012/12/5 <[hidden email]>
[...]

It's just the one library that's mucking up my builds because it doesn't have a real version and can't be obtained from a repository. I've made up a build number for it, but it can't be reliably re-obtained because it's replaced whenever a new snapshot build is put up. Now, I understand that's the trouble of using snapshots, but it's been this way for three years.

So, there's not an urgent "need" per se... it just feels like it's time to let the code escape. :-)

Rob

2012/12/5 <[hidden email]>
[...]

Do you use Maven for your builds?

This is the SNAPSHOT repo where Glazed Lists snapshots are available:
https://maven.java.net/content/repositories/snapshots/
or see
http://www.glazedlists.com/Home/maven

I agree that snapshots are volatile and could break builds.
At our company we use a Repository Manager to host a repository for third-party dependencies,
where we deploy "stable" snapshots, that we intend to use, with a fixed version like net.java.dev.glazedlists:glazedlists_java15:20111127.
This has worked for us very well so far.

Hope this helps,
Holger

2012/12/5 <[hidden email]>
[...]

Hi Endre,

while I am interested in enhancing the introspection capabilities, I don't want to hold back the release for that.
Just fixing the planned bugs and 1.9 should be done.
In a future release we can of course consider enhancements in this area.
If you like, you can open an issue for that and make a proposal.

With regard to the assertions I defer to Jesse and/or James...

2012/12/4 Endre Stølsvik <[hidden email]>
[...]

Hi again,

so far I was not able to fix the two remaining issues.
Unless somebody finds a solution, I suggest to move on and release what we have as 1.9.

WDYT?

If we agree to release, I'd post to the user list a request to test the latest snapshot.
If no serious regression is reported within a few weeks, we could release it.

After that I'd like to quickly move on to Java 6 as baseline for the next version.

Holger

2012/12/4 Holger Brands <[hidden email]>
[...]

Thanks for the feedback, Rob.

I've initiated the release process via java.net Nexus Maven Repo Manager.
When the artifacts are synced with Maven Central, I'll make the official announcement.

2013/2/11 Rob Eden <[hidden email]>
[...]

I just noticed that it's already published to Maven Central. ;-)
If someone could do a sanity check and test the download with Maven or Gradle.
(I'm currently not at work)
Also, please have a look at the release notes here:
http://www.glazedlists.com/releases/glazed-lists-1-9-0

I also tagged the release in SVN and updated the tutorial, some pages and links on www.glazedlists.com.

The only think that's missing is publishing the Javadocs for 1.9.0.
Any suggestion where to put these?

I'm thinking about enabling the project website feature on java.net (glazedlists.java.net) and creating a SCM Website hook
to serve the javadocs from SVN.

Holger

2013/2/13 Holger Brands <[hidden email]>
[...]

I'm not able to pull them from Maven central yet. I'll check again in an hour or so.

If you prefer, I can host the javadocs (and give you access to manage them).

Rob

On Feb 13, 2013, at 1:09 PM, Holger Brands <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

[...]

I think we can serve the Javadocs directly from SVN:
https://svn.java.net/svn/glazedlists~svn/tags/glazedlists-1_9_0/www/api/index.html
Does this URL work for you?
The trick is to assign the correct mime type to the *.html, *.gif and *.css files in SVN.

Holger