GLAZEDLISTS-419

Hey guys,

Rob stumbled upon the following issue again:

https://java.net/jira/browse/GLAZEDLISTS-419

"EventList.removeListEventListener throws an IllegalArgumentException when passed
an nonexistent listener. Fine, but this behavior is not the same as
javax.swing.event.EventListenerList, which fails silently."

On the other hand it helps to find programming errors.

What should we do?
Leave the behaviour as is or fail silently, e.g. ignore the remove-call?

I can live with both solutions, so your opinion matters...

Re: GLAZEDLISTS-419

Michael Heuer
Would be nice to see this one fixed.  Better late than never!

   michael

On Sat, Nov 1, 2014 at 7:03 AM, Holger Brands
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> Rob stumbled upon the following issue again:
>
> https://java.net/jira/browse/GLAZEDLISTS-419
>
> "EventList.removeListEventListener throws an IllegalArgumentException when
> passed
> an nonexistent listener. Fine, but this behavior is not the same as
> javax.swing.event.EventListenerList, which fails silently."
>
> On the other hand it helps to find programming errors.
>
> What should we do?
> Leave the behaviour as is or fail silently, e.g. ignore the remove-call?
>
> I can live with both solutions, so your opinion matters...
>
> Thanks,
> Holger

Re: GLAZEDLISTS-419

robeden
So that’s one. Is that enough consensus? :-)

Rob

> On Nov 2, 2014, at 7:32 PM, Michael Heuer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Would be nice to see this one fixed.  Better late than never!
>
>   michael
>
> On Sat, Nov 1, 2014 at 7:03 AM, Holger Brands
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hey guys,
>>
>> Rob stumbled upon the following issue again:
>>
>> https://java.net/jira/browse/GLAZEDLISTS-419
>>
>> "EventList.removeListEventListener throws an IllegalArgumentException when
>> passed
>> an nonexistent listener. Fine, but this behavior is not the same as
>> javax.swing.event.EventListenerList, which fails silently."
>>
>> On the other hand it helps to find programming errors.
>>
>> What should we do?
>> Leave the behaviour as is or fail silently, e.g. ignore the remove-call?
>>
>> I can live with both solutions, so your opinion matters...
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Holger

Re: GLAZEDLISTS-419

James Lemieux
I have no strong objections to relaxing this behavior. Have at it.

On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 2:27 PM, Rob Eden <[hidden email]> wrote:
So that’s one. Is that enough consensus? :-)

Rob

> On Nov 2, 2014, at 7:32 PM, Michael Heuer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Would be nice to see this one fixed.  Better late than never!
>
>   michael
>
> On Sat, Nov 1, 2014 at 7:03 AM, Holger Brands
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hey guys,
>>
>> Rob stumbled upon the following issue again:
>>
>> https://java.net/jira/browse/GLAZEDLISTS-419
>>
>> "EventList.removeListEventListener throws an IllegalArgumentException when
>> passed
>> an nonexistent listener. Fine, but this behavior is not the same as
>> javax.swing.event.EventListenerList, which fails silently."
>>
>> On the other hand it helps to find programming errors.
>>
>> What should we do?
>> Leave the behaviour as is or fail silently, e.g. ignore the remove-call?
>>
>> I can live with both solutions, so your opinion matters...
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Holger

Re: GLAZEDLISTS-419

robeden
This change has been implemented. By default SequenceDependenciesEventPublisher no longer performs that check. To allow for compatibility, I added the system property "-Dglazedlists.compat.nonexistent_listener_check" which can be set to re-enable the check.

Rob