Glazedlists still active?

Florian-40
Hi All,
i had a look at the cvs and latest build sources and compared them to 1.8
Does look like if the project is dead. Is there still any develeopment going on?

best regards,

Florian

Re: Glazedlists still active?

Rob Eden
GlazedLists is a fairly stable library at this point. So no, there's not a ton of development happening, but I don't hear a lot of requests either.

(That being said, there are a couple things that have fallen in to disrepair. I'm just about to crack open some table sorting code to see whether it's SwingX or GL that's not playing nice at the moment.)

Rob

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 3:31 AM, Florian <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,
i had a look at the cvs and latest build sources and compared them to 1.8
Does look like if the project is dead. Is there still any develeopment going on?

best regards,

Florian

Guava and GlazedLists (was: Glazedlists still active?)

Ted Zlatanov
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 09:27:48 -0500 Rob Eden <[hidden email]> wrote:

RE> GlazedLists is a fairly stable library at this point. So no, there's not a
RE> ton of development happening, but I don't hear a lot of requests either.

I think GL could be better integrated with Guava.  I have several data
structures (MapMaker computation maps, ImmutableSets, etc.) that I have
to mirror into GL EventLists.  There's literally dozens of useful
classes in Guava (see
http://guava-libraries.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/javadoc/index.html) that
could be usefully connected with GL.  Guava OTOH has nothing like GL's
ListModel and TableModel support, which is why I keep using GL.

A recurring problem for me has been that EventLists and their
derivatives are so paranoid about locking.  I've run into filtering and
access issues while updating the underlying list that require days to
find and fix.  I often have to resort to running on the Swing thread
because I can't find the source of the problem.  So one issue is that
problems lie dormant until it's too late and then they break everything.

Essentially I would love to see a way to make EventLists behave more
like NonBlockingHashMaps, forgiving concurrent access at the cost of
memory and performance.  But this may be simply hard to achieve with the
current libraries.

Ted

Re: Guava and GlazedLists (was: Glazedlists still active?)

Rob Eden
Yeah, the biggest rework I'm aware of (Jesse, James, etc. probably know many more) is for an event bus for back-end message passing. Reworking EventList to do this would allow for more flexible (and correct) handling of threaded and chained situations.

Rob

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 09:50:50 -0500 Rob Eden <[hidden email]> wrote:

RE> Yeah, the biggest rework I'm aware of (Jesse, James, etc. probably know many
RE> more) is for an event bus for back-end message passing. Reworking EventList
RE> to do this would allow for more flexible (and correct) handling of threaded
RE> and chained situations.

That sounds like a good direction; if I can be of assistance testing or
implementing any part of it please let me know.

Thanks
Ted