Grouping list exceptions...

Dmitriy Moroz
Gents,

is there any chance of resolving GL issue 499 -- grouping list throwing an NPE?

I am getting major flak from desk users because their workflow is heavy on grouping and they thus suffer most from the NPE that it sometimes throws...

We are using official 1.9 build, if it makes any difference.

Thanks
-DM

Re: Grouping list exceptions...

James Lemieux
Hey Dmitriy,

   Yeah, sorry for the pain that bug has caused. It's old and nasty. Note, if I recall correctly, it only occurs when the ListEvent contains multiple UPDATES.

i.e. you need to have a TransactionList in your pipeline to make this happen; none of the methods on java.util.List naturally produce this kind of ListEvent... maybe putAll through a Map backed by an EventList could do this too...

With that knowledge, maybe it's possible for some out there to work around the bug. That said, we really should invest the time and endure the pain to fix it.

James

-DM

Re: Grouping list exceptions...

Dmitriy Moroz
Thanks James.

We are very likely to have multiple updates in there since the grouping list backs a UI filter that takes a JTable, queries its header for columns, and allows people to choose a particular column name. That column name defines a group where we basically go vertical and show all unique values in that column (with row counts for each value). The users then click on a value and it applies a filter "where selected column values in ()". Very useful feature for our UI. All of this is live, that is the table is updated in real time by a server subscription so the number of unique values per selected column constantly changes, as does the number of rows that value is in...

Please let me know if I can be of any help with this -- it's one of two major issues we're facing with GL, the other one being that sometimes use of Matchers makes the JVM crash on Java 7/8 x64, although this is more of an Oracle issue than GL...

Best regards,
-DM