RuntimeException debug info in ListEventPublisher?

RuntimeException debug info in ListEventPublisher?

Jesse Wilson

Hey Rob ---

What's up with the new debug info in ListEventPublisher?
The commit message was 'UI Drop' which doesn't mean
a heck of a lot to me!

             // if notification failed, handle that problem later
             } catch(RuntimeException newProblem) {
                 System.err.println( "----- Runtime exception caught
in ListEventPublisher -----" );
                 newProblem.printStackTrace();
                 System.err.println( "Event: " + event );
                 System.err.println( "Listener: " + listener );
                 if ( listener instanceof EventList ) {
                     System.err.println( "  Size: " + ( ( EventList )
listener ).size() );
                 }
                 System.err.println( "Source: " + source );
                 System.err.println( "  Size: " + source.size() );
                 System.err.println
( "----------------------------------------------------------" );

                 if(toRethrow == null) toRethrow = newProblem;

I think that stuff like this isn't really appropriate for production,
since rethrowing is probably sufficient. What are your thoughts,
and let me know what we can add to the rethrown exception
that will help in diagnosing the problem!

Cheers,
Jesse

smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment

Re: RuntimeException debug info in ListEventPublisher?

Rob Eden
Oh, I'm very sorry, guys. That wasn't supposed to get checked in.
That was on my internal IDEA project and I have no idea why it tried
to check it much less how it succeeded. It's not supposed to be
configured to write... only read.

I've had problems with the new 5.0 version of IDEA committing things
its not supposed to. Sorry about that.

> I think that stuff like this isn't really appropriate for production,
> since rethrowing is probably sufficient.

Well, yeah. Hopefully it's obvious that it was a mistake and not
meant for production. :-)

> What are your thoughts,
> and let me know what we can add to the rethrown exception
> that will help in diagnosing the problem!

I was trying to debug some errors I was getting with a homebrew list,
but I have since figured them out. Thanks.

"Let your heart soar as high as it will.
  Refuse to be average."
                            - A. W. Tozer