Usage of GL on Android not possible because of javax

Usage of GL on Android not possible because of javax

Fabian Zeindl
Hi,

 I wanted to use GL on Android, but there are some imports from swing
in the core (notably: javax.swing.event.EventListenerList in
AbstractMatcherEditorListenerSupport.java), that makes it unusable.

Would you consider patching this?

Here is a code-search:
https://github.com/glazedlists/glazedlists/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=%22i
mport+javax%22+path%3A%22source%2Fca%2Fodell%2Fglazedlists%22+-path%3A%
22source%2Fca%2Fodell%2Fglazedlists%2Fswing%22++-path%3A%22source%2Fca%
2Fodell%2Fglazedlists%2Fimpl%2Fswing%22&type=Code

Thank you
Fabian

Thank you
Fabian

Re: Usage of GL on Android not possible because of javax

Fabian Zeindl
The problem is that it uses javax.swing.events.EventListenerList
event when no swing is used.

So that needs to be replaced.

Fabian

Re: Usage of GL on Android not possible because of javax

robeden
Oh, sorry... I missed that AbstractMatcherEditorListenerSupport was the class using it.

I put in a fix which just uses ArrayList instead (no real need for the dependency):

I think Holger normally releases snapshots, so maybe he can build one for you if need be?

Fabian

Re: Usage of GL on Android not possible because of javax

Fabian Zeindl
Awesome.

I think the usages in WeakReferenceMatcherEditor and UndoRedoSupport should be replaced as well.

Thanks!

On 29.08.2016, at 21:37 , Rob Eden <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Does it fail with Java7 as well?

Anyway I thought GL supported Java 1.6 only.

On 29.08.2016, at 22:25 , Rob Eden <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Glazed Lists 1.10 is currently compiled with source/target 1.6, so that's basically the minimum requirement.
It should of course run on 1.6+ JVMs.

But after releasing 1.10 we consider moving directly to 1.8 as baseline for trunk development.

Hope this helps,

On 30.08.2016, at 13:30 , Holger Brands <[hidden email]> wrote:

Glazed Lists 1.10 is currently compiled with source/target 1.6, so that's basically the minimum requirement.
It should of course run on 1.6+ JVMs.

But after releasing 1.10 we consider moving directly to 1.8 as baseline for trunk development.

For me personally, 1.7 would be necessary, because Android doesn't support 1.8 yet.

I'm using Kotlin anyway, so I get all the niceties like lambdas anyway. Looks like this: ;)
val matcher = TextMatcherEditor<T>().apply {
    setFilterator { list, item -> list.add(item.text) }
strategy = TextMatcherEditor.NORMALIZED_STRATEGY
}
Thanks for still supporting this project after all those years!
Fabian

Re: Usage of GL on Android not possible because of javax

robeden
Yes, it's only failing in the java 8 build (not java 7) and I'm unable to make it fail on my system.

So, for now I'm going to pull it out of the master branch and move it to a feature branch until I can figure out what's going on. (That will also let me see if the problem is related to my change... doesn't seem like it should be.)

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 6:39 AM Fabian Zeindl <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 30.08.2016, at 13:30 , Holger Brands <[hidden email]> wrote:

Glazed Lists 1.10 is currently compiled with source/target 1.6, so that's basically the minimum requirement.
It should of course run on 1.6+ JVMs.

But after releasing 1.10 we consider moving directly to 1.8 as baseline for trunk development.

For me personally, 1.7 would be necessary, because Android doesn't support 1.8 yet.

I'm using Kotlin anyway, so I get all the niceties like lambdas anyway. Looks like this: ;)
val matcher = TextMatcherEditor<T>().apply {
    setFilterator { list, item -> list.add(item.text) }
strategy = TextMatcherEditor.NORMALIZED_STRATEGY
}
Thanks for still supporting this project after all those years!
Fabian

Re: Usage of GL on Android not possible because of javax

I think the problem is located here:

[junit] Testsuite: ca.odell.glazedlists.event.ListEventBlockTest

    [junit] Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Time elapsed: 0 sec

    [junit]

    [junit] Testcase: ca.odell.glazedlists.event.ListEventBlockTest:testSortListEventBlocksAllPermutations:    Caused an ERROR

    [junit] Forked Java VM exited abnormally. Please note the time in the report does not reflect the time until the VM exit.

    [junit] junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: Forked Java VM exited abnormally. Please note the time in the report does not reflect the time until the VM exit.

Travis seems to use a rather old 1.8 version:

java version "1.8.0_31"

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.31-b07, mixed mode)

Is there any way to tweak this setting?

Fabian

Re: Usage of GL on Android not possible because of javax

robeden
Holger -

Yes, that is the problem. I haven't been able to find any more reason on why the VM exited abnormal (hotspot crash? real failure it's not telling me about?)

I don't think there's a way to update the java version, but I'll check.

In redoing the work for the branch and replacing other instances (WeakReferenceMatcherEditor in particular), I did not that one difference was that ConcurrentModificationExceptions caused by event-driven deregistrations weren't guarded against. The new branch (which I'll push in a couple minutes) will have protection against that, so I suppose that might have been the issue if there was just a test failure that wasn't being communicated well by junit/Travis.

FYI for all following, issue in JIRA: https://java.net/jira/browse/GLAZEDLISTS-592

The new branch will be feature/592.

Rob

Fabian

Re: Usage of GL on Android not possible because of javax

robeden
Fabian -

It looks like the Travis failures are a Travis-only issue, not related to my changes. However, I'll probably refrain from merging until we get something figured out with Travis.

If you'd like the code without EventListenerList dependencies, you can use/follow this branch: https://github.com/glazedlists/glazedlists/tree/bug/592

Rob

Fabian

Re: Usage of GL on Android not possible because of javax

Fabian Zeindl
Great.

I've already clone and built from master for now, thank you.

fabian