Wiki state

Holger
Jesse, James,

as we all know, the GL wiki is currently unusable
because of spamming. Just open the main page and
you'll see what I mean. It simply doesn't give a good
impression for (new) users.

What are the options we have?

1) ignore it and change nothing
2) drop the wiki altogether
3) try to secure the wiki (with captchas for example)
and cleanup the main pages
4) make the wiki editable only for contributors and "trusted" users
and cleanup the main pages

Option 3) would be ideal but because of lack of time and expertise,
it's unlikely to happen.
The next best option would be option 4):
Create a dedicated user group with edit permissions
and put only trusted users into it.
This way we could add new content quickly
while contributions from other users are restricted but still possible
after granting group membership.
Hopefully this would cut down the spam rate.

In comparison to the current state, this would be an acceptable
compromise in my opinion.

WDYT?

Re: Wiki state

Rob Eden
Wow, yeah. It's bad. If I can be of any assistance, just let me know.

Rob

On Jul 13, 2008, at 8:59 AM, Holger Brands wrote:

> Jesse, James,
>
> as we all know, the GL wiki is currently unusable
> because of spamming. Just open the main page and
> you'll see what I mean. It simply doesn't give a good
> impression for (new) users.
>
> What are the options we have?
>
> 1) ignore it and change nothing
> 2) drop the wiki altogether
> 3) try to secure the wiki (with captchas for example)
> and cleanup the main pages
> 4) make the wiki editable only for contributors and "trusted" users
> and cleanup the main pages
>
> Option 3) would be ideal but because of lack of time and expertise,
> it's unlikely to happen.
> The next best option would be option 4):
> Create a dedicated user group with edit permissions
> and put only trusted users into it.
> This way we could add new content quickly
> while contributions from other users are restricted but still possible
> after granting group membership.
> Hopefully this would cut down the spam rate.
>
> In comparison to the current state, this would be an acceptable
> compromise in my opinion.
>
> WDYT?
>
> Holger

Re: Wiki state

James Lemieux
Holger, Rob, et al,

   Yeah, the Wiki state is abysmal. To recap for the group, I did investigate installing a "captcha module" into our wiki instllation, but just couldn't get it to work. But, I have no experience doing it, and perhaps I made stupid mistakes while doing it. (I recall getting PHP errors that were meaningless to me).

   4) is definitely something I'd vote for if someone knows how to do it...

Rob and Holger:

   Jesse and I, would definitely be willing to give either of you the FTP username/password if you'd be able to help out with this problem.

Thanks guys,

James

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 12:22 PM, Rob Eden <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I've registered as "reden". If you want to make me an administrator
I'll be happy start looking into it. For starters we should probably
require email confirmation before granting editing abilities.

Rob

On Jul 14, 2008, at 1:16 PM, James Lemieux wrote:

> Holger, Rob, et al,
>
>    Yeah, the Wiki state is abysmal. To recap for the group, I did
> investigate installing a "captcha module" into our wiki instllation,
> but just couldn't get it to work. But, I have no experience doing
> it, and perhaps I made stupid mistakes while doing it. (I recall
> getting PHP errors that were meaningless to me).
>
>    4) is definitely something I'd vote for if someone knows how to
> do it...
>
> Rob and Holger:
>
>    Jesse and I, would definitely be willing to give either of you
> the FTP username/password if you'd be able to help out with this
> problem.
>
> Thanks guys,
>
> James
>
> On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 12:22 PM, Rob Eden <rob@starlight-
> systems.com> wrote:
> Wow, yeah. It's bad. If I can be of any assistance, just let me know.
>
> Rob
>

> On Jul 13, 2008, at 8:59 AM, Holger Brands wrote:
>
> Jesse, James,
>
> as we all know, the GL wiki is currently unusable
> because of spamming. Just open the main page and
> you'll see what I mean. It simply doesn't give a good
> impression for (new) users.
>
> What are the options we have?
>
> 1) ignore it and change nothing
> 2) drop the wiki altogether
> 3) try to secure the wiki (with captchas for example)
> and cleanup the main pages
> 4) make the wiki editable only for contributors and "trusted" users
> and cleanup the main pages
>
> Option 3) would be ideal but because of lack of time and expertise,
> it's unlikely to happen.
> The next best option would be option 4):
> Create a dedicated user group with edit permissions
> and put only trusted users into it.
> This way we could add new content quickly
> while contributions from other users are restricted but still possible
> after granting group membership.
> Hopefully this would cut down the spam rate.
>
> In comparison to the current state, this would be an acceptable
> compromise in my opinion.
>
> WDYT?
>
> Holger

"Are the gods not just?"
"Oh no, child. What would become of us if they were?"
                            - Till We Have Faces
                              C. S. Lewis

Re: Wiki state

Sorry for the delay.

Rob, if you have some Wiki experience, then go ahead.
I've only browsed some of the Mediawiki docu sometime ago...

Currently, there is one admin user, I guess it's Jesse.
So he could grant you the required rights.
BTW, my account is "Hbrands", just in case he wants to triple
admin rights ;-)

Holger

> I've registered as "reden". If you want to make me an administrator
> I'll be happy start looking into it. For starters we should probably
> require email confirmation before granting editing abilities.
>
> Rob
>
> On Jul 14, 2008, at 1:16 PM, James Lemieux wrote:
>
> > Holger, Rob, et al,
> >
> >    Yeah, the Wiki state is abysmal. To recap for the group, I did
> > investigate installing a "captcha module" into our wiki instllation,
> > but just couldn't get it to work. But, I have no experience doing
> > it, and perhaps I made stupid mistakes while doing it. (I recall
> > getting PHP errors that were meaningless to me).
> >
> >    4) is definitely something I'd vote for if someone knows how to
> > do it...
> >
> > Rob and Holger:
> >
> >    Jesse and I, would definitely be willing to give either of you
> > the FTP username/password if you'd be able to help out with this
> > problem.
> >
> > Thanks guys,
> >
> > James
> >
> > On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 12:22 PM, Rob Eden <rob@starlight-
> > systems.com> wrote:
> > Wow, yeah. It's bad. If I can be of any assistance, just let me know.
> >
> > Rob
> >

> > On Jul 13, 2008, at 8:59 AM, Holger Brands wrote:
> >
> > Jesse, James,
> >
> > as we all know, the GL wiki is currently unusable
> > because of spamming. Just open the main page and
> > you'll see what I mean. It simply doesn't give a good
> > impression for (new) users.
> >
> > What are the options we have?
> >
> > 1) ignore it and change nothing
> > 2) drop the wiki altogether
> > 3) try to secure the wiki (with captchas for example)
> > and cleanup the main pages
> > 4) make the wiki editable only for contributors and "trusted" users
> > and cleanup the main pages
> >
> > Option 3) would be ideal but because of lack of time and expertise,
> > it's unlikely to happen.
> > The next best option would be option 4):
> > Create a dedicated user group with edit permissions
> > and put only trusted users into it.
> > This way we could add new content quickly
> > while contributions from other users are restricted but still possible
> > after granting group membership.
> > Hopefully this would cut down the spam rate.
> >
> > In comparison to the current state, this would be an acceptable
> > compromise in my opinion.
> >
> > WDYT?
> >
> > Holger

> "Are the gods not just?"
> "Oh no, child. What would become of us if they were?"
>                             - Till We Have Faces
>                               C. S. Lewis

Re: Wiki state

Rob Eden
We use MediaWiki at work, so I do have a bit of experience and a co-
worker has quite a bit more.

I certainly don't mean to step on toes or anything, Holger, so if you
had plans I don't want to get in the way. But, if you'd like help I'm
certainly happy to do so.

Anything to help the Glaziers, so they can get 1.8 out the door. ;-)

Rob

--

"Are the gods not just?"
"Oh no, child. What would become of us if they were?"
                            - Till We Have Faces
                              C. S. Lewis

Re: Wiki state

Hi Rob,

> We use MediaWiki at work, so I do have a bit of experience and a co-
> worker has quite a bit more.
>
> I certainly don't mean to step on toes or anything, Holger, so if you
> had plans I don't want to get in the way. But, if you'd like help I'm
> certainly happy to do so.

No problem. I appreciate any help regarding the wiki (and GL in general).
I guess you have the best hands-on experience among us, so
we'll look forward to any suggestions or improvements in this area. ;-)

Re: Wiki state

Jesse Wilson
Would it be offensive to move the wiki from
where it is now to Google Sites?

http://sites.google.com/site/sites/

Managing the software on our own server
will continue to be a pain since it seems there's
going to be a persistent arms race between the
Captcha people and the spammers.

Re: Wiki state

Rob Eden
I don't know too much about Sites, but if we can do basic wiki stuff,
I'm all for it. I agree: lower maintenance = good.

Rob

On Jul 20, 2008, at 4:07 AM, Jesse Wilson wrote:

> Would it be offensive to move the wiki from
> where it is now to Google Sites?
>
> http://sites.google.com/site/sites/
>
> Managing the software on our own server
> will continue to be a pain since it seems there's
> going to be a persistent arms race between the
> Captcha people and the spammers.

Re: Wiki state

Sounds good to me, too...

Holger