compile errors for Java 1.4 tests

Holger
Hey James,

when compiling the Java 1.4 tests, I get 29 compile errors in
   MatcherTest.testTypeMatcher()
and where
  GlazedLists.beanPropertyComparator(...)
is used.
Seems to be related to some changes you made a few days ago.

Do you want to fix them?
Let me know if you are busy with other stuff
and I should have a closer look.

Re: compile errors for Java 1.4 tests

Holger
Never mind, I just fixed them ;-)

Holger

> Hey James,
>
> when compiling the Java 1.4 tests, I get 29 compile errors in
>    MatcherTest.testTypeMatcher()
> and where
>   GlazedLists.beanPropertyComparator(...)
> is used.
> Seems to be related to some changes you made a few days ago.
>
> Do you want to fix them?
> Let me know if you are busy with other stuff
> and I should have a closer look.
>
> Thanks,
> Holger

Re: compile errors for Java 1.4 tests

James Lemieux
Thanks Holger,

   I started to fix them, then backed off because of this:

GlazedList.beanPropertyComparator used to look like this:

GlazedList.beanPropertyComparator(Class clazz, String propertyName);

but I wanted to change it to:

GlazedList.beanPropertyComparator(Class clazz, String propertyName, String... propertyNames);

so that it could do "automatic Comparator chaining" in 1.5+. It's a nice API change, but, unfortunately it breaks backward compatibility  for 1.4 users because declawer will now generate:

GlazedList.beanPropertyComparator(Class clazz, String propertyName, String[] propertyNames);

and they'll have 3 args where they used to have just 2. I'm struggling with this decision. I really want the new var-args API, but I don't want users to have upgrade problems. Overloading won't work here either because of the ambiguity between

GlazedList.beanPropertyComparator(Class clazz, String propertyName);
and
GlazedList.beanPropertyComparator(Class clazz, String propertyName, String... propertyNames);

in JDK 1.5.

At the moment I'm inclined to intentionally break backward compatibility for the "better API" that the var-args introduces.

In any case, thanks very much for fixing up our 1.4 test cases so they compile once more. It's much appreciated Holger!

James

On Jan 6, 2008 8:20 AM, Holger Brands <[hidden email]> wrote:
Never mind, I just fixed them ;-)

Holger