java.net project migration to Kenai...

Hi all,

I just read about the planned migration from java.net to Kenai infrastructure:

http://www.java.net/blog/30701

Should we request the migration or consider another solution?

I think it has pro's and con's, for example a better issue tracker (jira) but
nothing like the java.net ant tasks AFAIK.
So I'm undecided yet.

Just to get your attention and get the discussion started...

Re: java.net project migration to Kenai...

W.B. Garvelink
One aspect in which where Google Code is IMHO vastly superior to
SourceForce is the issue tracker, for me, it's the deciding factor
between the two. Another interesting choice is github, which has some
interesting properties in the way it facilitates branching.

Like Rob, I don't feel strongly about any one of them.

Barend

On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 5:14 AM, Rob Eden <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I know it's not trendy, but SourceForge isn't bad either. It's a bit more
> flexible than others. But I don't feel strongly about any of them.
> Rob
>
> On Nov 6, 2010, at 11:09 PM, James Lemieux <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> code.google.com is another strong alternative... but we'd have to do the
> migration work ourselves... Jesse probably can give us a good lowdown on
> it...

Re: java.net project migration to Kenai...

Ted Zlatanov
On Sat, 6 Nov 2010 23:14:28 -0500 Rob Eden <[hidden email]> wrote:

RE> I know it's not trendy, but SourceForge isn't bad either. It's a bit
RE> more flexible than others. But I don't feel strongly about any of
RE> them.

I hope the project moves to Git or something equally capable.

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 9:09 PM, James Lemieux <[hidden email]> wrote:
code.google.com is another strong alternative... but we'd have to do the migration work ourselves... Jesse probably can give us a good lowdown on it...

Google Code has worked quite well for me on various projects. They offer many benefits over java.net: faster servers, a great bug tracker, integrated code-review and sane hosting of static content. The downsides are SVN reliability (I've experienced a handful of hour-long SVN server outages), no git support (for better or worse) and the cost of migration. If I were to create a new project today, I'd create it on Google Code.

Github has many fans, but I'd prefer to avoid a distributed repository for Glazed Lists. Tools like git and hg suffer a steep learning curve; I'm still recovering from Android's switch to git. The upside is much better branching, but that's a solution to a problem we don't currently have. So I'd also vote for something that hosts SVN.

Is there any requirement to move? Staying on java.net has no migration cost! Although I'd be happy to see the project moved  in order to get off of their painfully slow servers.

Re: java.net project migration to Kenai...

kikonen
> Github has many fans, but I'd prefer to avoid a distributed repository for Glazed Lists.

I don't have any experience about github, but Git itself is rather great tool for distributed development. I would vote for it, if I had vote.

KI

Re: java.net project migration to Kenai...

Rob Eden
I'd have to agree with Jesse that I don't see the complexity being worth it for GL. There's not enough activity in the source.

Rob

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 2:10 PM, kikonen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Github has many fans, but I'd prefer to avoid a distributed repository for
Glazed Lists.

I don't have any experience about github, but Git itself is rather great
tool for distributed development. I would vote for it, if I had vote.

--
KI

Re: java.net project migration to Kenai...

kikonen
> There's not enough activity in the source.

Sadly due to that I've now few fixes in my own patched glazedlists, since there was few show stopper bugs. Okey, you can guess that I'm using Git for version control of it :), and yes, I would desire to see that fixes would get integrated back to actual development branch, so that I wouldn't need to have forked version.

KI

Re: java.net project migration to Kenai...

Rob Eden
Just submit patches and they'll happily be merged (assuming they check out, meet quality standards, blah, blah...). I don't think I still have commit authority, but I'm sure Holger or someone can do it for you.

Rob

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 2:23 PM, kikonen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There's not enough activity in the source.

Sadly due to that I've now few fixes in my own patched glazedlists, since
there was few show stopper bugs. Okey, you can guess that I'm using Git for
version control of it :), and yes, I would desire to see that fixes would
get integrated back to actual development branch, so that I wouldn't need to
have forked version.

--
KI

Re: java.net project migration to Kenai...

Jesse Wilson

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 12:26 PM, Rob Eden <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just submit patches and they'll happily be merged (assuming they check out, meet quality standards, blah, blah...). I don't think I still have commit authority, but I'm sure Holger or someone can do it for you.

You're still in the club as far as I'm concerned! Although I think Holger and James are the bosses!

Re: java.net project migration to Kenai...

Yes, Google Code would be an alternative, but then someone would need to volunteer to do the migration.

In the face of our limited developer resources, the automated migration of members/roles, mailing lists contents, issues to JIRA, documents and files to Downloads section and CVS to SVN repo is a strong argument to make the move to Kenai.
Hopefully, the new infrastructure is backed by more capable servers.
So perhaps we should try the move and see how things go.
If we don't feel comfortable with the new site, we could still decide to move the project to another hosting site later.

Holger

2010/11/10 Jesse Wilson <[hidden email]>

You're still in the club as far as I'm concerned!

Sure!
But looking at the java.net project membership I don't see an account that could belong to Rob?

Although I think Holger and James are the bosses!

Hey, what about you, Jesse?
No time or interest to hack some lists? :-)

Re: java.net project migration to Kenai...

Hey Rob,

your account was missing from the glazedlists project membership.
I just added you with developer role.
Please give it a try...

Holger

2010/11/10 Jesse Wilson <[hidden email][hidden email]>

You're still in the club as far as I'm concerned!

Sure!
But looking at the java.net project membership I don't see an account that could belong to Rob?

Although I think Holger and James are the bosses!

Hey, what about you, Jesse?
No time or interest to hack some lists? :-)

Re: java.net project migration to Kenai...

panpan2523
Goyard est aussi un fabricant de bloc en 1853, un an AFORE Louis Vuitton, que dix-sept ans après Hermès. Et ce fut le malletier du riche familles à l'écart, en France, goyard bags handbags en créant accoutrements fonction de leurs couleurs aristocratiques de leurs crêtes. Goyard ainsi réclamations créée à accepter l'attaché rendez autochtones.